Today is June 28, 2008. This day would have been Mom and Dad's 60th wedding anniversary. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple by Joseph Fielding Smith. There is a great story that goes along with this special day. Both Mom and Dad lived in the Provo area. There was no Provo Temple in 1948 and there wasn't a freeway. The closest temple was in Salt Lake City, which was 50 miles away. The day finally arrived and in the excitement of the day, they left their marriage license home, at Mom's house, where it would not get lost. They were in the temple when the problem was realized. The temple worker took the problem to President Smith. He instructed them to go forward with their endowments then if they could get back by 4:00 pm with their license he would personally marry them. That is just what happened.
Now I don't know what kind of car Dad drove, but I sure it didn't go as fast as cars today. There was no freeway, but there again I don't believe there was nearly as much traffic either. I know they were blessed that day!
I remember how pleased Mom was on their 50th wedding anniversary. I'm sure Mom is celebrating her anniversary today, being grateful for temple ordinances and covenants made in the Lord's holy house.
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! We are grateful for this special day and the example you set for each of us. We love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment