Friday, June 6, 2008

Doctor Wanabe

Our mother could have had a great career in the medical field. She really enjoyed learning about the way the body works and what to do when it didn't. James had a lot of medical challenges from the time he was just little. Things like, ear infections, heart problems, and a tumor to name a few. Mom read and studied about each one so she could help him cope in this big world. Infections were never much of a problem, Mom knew just what to do. I know Mom watched Mary get her tonsils out and probably the exploratory surgery when they concluded that it was her appendix causing the problem. I know I always called Mom first for help when my children had any kind of rash or ailment. When Adam was almost two, his lung collapsed. I knew something was wrong, but Mom took us straight to the Emergency Room.
She took Kelly for stitches after falling into the rose bush. Chicken pox, diaper rash, stitches, bumps or bruises, Mom was the greatest resource. She knew how to talked to doctors and explain complaints and get answers. I miss having her to talk to about things of a medical nature. Thankfully, she passed a lot of her knowledge on to my sisters. They are pretty good to talk to about medical concerns.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You know, Mom just taught us how to do the research and to be interested enough to do it. It has served us well.