It is interesting that Tyler would remember Mom's piccalilli. It is really good and worth remembering.
When John and Paul and I were little, next to making deadly nightshade potions for the Wicked Witch (to destroy her of course), Mom's piccalilli was one of our most daring quests. We would have to sneak the key to the basement without getting caught and questioned and then locate the latest batch--giving it sufficient time for potency. Then we would go out on the North side of the house with a fork, also pilfered from the kitchen, and share the entire bottle. The adventure made it taste all the better. Mom was probably aware of what we were doing when the empty bottles and forks showed up in her kitchen, but it always amazed her how quickly the stuff disappeared.
We enjoyed piccalilli for Thanksgiving for several years after we made it with Mom. I'm glad we have the recipe since Tyler is wanting to make it again. I will always savor the memories as we eat it that take me back to a time of quests and co-conspirators.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment