Mom had the right idea when it came to getting children into the summer reading programs at the library. Not only did it make us smarter, preserving all our hard work from the previous school year, it gave her some down time to do one of her favorite things...read...which in turn showed us the example of enjoying a good book.
She often would read along with me and we would have great discussions about ideas and concepts presented in the book. These conversations often were jumping off points for Gospel related topics and an exploration of values and principles. Not only could she have been a doctor, Julie, she would have made a marvelous English teacher. There is no doubt she was a marvelous teacher to us.
When I married Lyn, he hated to read. It was a laborious chore, drudge work, homework, and not interesting. How could this be? I grew up with a love of the printed page. Little by little, I have introduced him to good literature and he has caught the vision of reading. He told me just last night, looking forward to relishing reading the next good book together that he can now sit down and read to relax and for pleasure.
Tyler also has learned a love for reading through summer reading programs. Thanks to how well our first summer reading program took, it has become a tradition to read a 100 books the summer after kindergarten for a trip to Lagoon.
Well, I could go on and on about how Mom probably read 9/10ths of the Springville Public Library in her lifetime, but I need to be off to the library.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment