I made apricot jam Wednesday and thought of Mom. I remember the bottles upon bottles of fruit she put up each summer. Now that I am canning for myself I feel a little guilty that I didn't help more as a kid. We were more likely to complain at stirring bottles and then run off to play in the yard than to help. I admit, my kids were better helpers than I ever was. It is an adventure to them and they were very proud of the bottles of jam and knowing that they helped fill them.
As I made the jam this week,I happened to have some marachino cherries in the fridge that I threw in. I remember how she made everything look as good as it tasted. She was good at asthetics. Everything was pretty and nutritious.
My thanks to Matthew for the apricots off the old tree. Really they were an answer to prayer. We were pretty much out of jam.
So for all you that want to try Mom's apricot jam recipe, here it is:
2 qts fruit puree
1 qt fruit chopped
1 can crushed pineapple with juice
boil fruit 10 minutes stirring frequently
add
31/2 cups sugar and
1 pkg orange or lemon jello
bring to boil and cook for 5 more minutes stirring constantly
can in jars.
This is nice because it comes together quickly after preparing the fruit.
Enjoy and think of Mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment